Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chionanthus

Since I don't have a key (grumble, grumble) to Gramercy Park, these are the best photos I could take of the lovely fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus) which is currently in bloom.

...Don't get me started on the elitism of this park.


Anyhoo, Chionanthus is a great little flowering tree that, while rarely seen around New York City, I used to see all the time in Virginia. When it blooms there, it coincides with some of the first really hot days that serve as a prelude to summer. Here in New York that would certainly not be the case, as we're having such a chilly spring.



Chionanthus literally means snow-flower; chion is Greek for snow and as we've covered before, anthus means flower.

2 comments:

cgoldnc said...

I have something similar to this in Charlotte that was called a Chinese fringe tree. Same thing?

Jennifer G. Horn said...

Same genus, yes! Chinese fringetree is Chionanthus retusus.