Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Hall of Ugly Babies, and Happy New Year

Hi there,

So two days ago was my one year anniversary on writing this blog. Hopefully it's been mildly interesting for anyone who has visited the site.

As I mentioned in my last post, I try to stick to the script of discussing plants, but as I've been otherwise distracted with moving and dealing with apartment fire stuff, I am posting one last "other stuff" offering for 2008.

The most well-tread wing of the Louvre in Paris is no doubt the one that hosts the collection of Renaissance art. It's the go-to spot for visitors since the Louvre's main attraction, the Mona Lisa, is located in this wing.

There are dozens of other beautiful pieces but, as walking through the wing for the 3rd time last fall, I noticed there is also a fair amount of very, very ugly babies depicted on the canvases.

Seriously, take a look:



I guess it was a real pain in the neck to paint these squirming little guys, without the benefit of a camera.


But still, sheesh, look at this:


What's funny is so many of them seem to have the faces of grown men, painted in miniature on little, oddly-proportioned bodies.


Of course, this one just looks like he's melting.

And, I'm not sure if you are familiar with him, but this one below reminds me of the comic Jim Norton. Which is sorta weird, considering his material.


I will say that there was one painting that showed all the peace and, well, proportion one hopes a typical baby would have.


I hope no one is offended by this -- the post isn't about religion -- even if most of the scenes are inspired by religious events. I just was downright tickled at how, well, *ugly* these toddlers were, and I had to share the photos back-to-back, 'cause I hoped you'd find it funny.

Anyway, I promise in the 2009, we will get back on point with posts about plants. December was sort of a wash for me, what with the fire. But, the days are getting longer, and I've finally noticed the buds on red maples and magnolias, and even the dreaded Bradford pears, are fattening up.

It won't be long 'til they all bloom.

Happy New Year.

5 comments:

daryoush said...

Remind me to not share any photos of my kid with you. Harsh critic.

Anonymous said...

Who said that all babies look like Winston Churchill?? Whoever they were, they were right on!

Ugly, yes, but baby toes are irresistible.

Anonymous said...

An ugly baby is a very nasty object - and the prettiest is frightful. - Queen Victoria

Anonymous said...

Check out the cover of "Monster Rain" by Jim Norton. It is very odd that he does look like one of the babies.

Unknown said...

love the blog. thanks for this post edmonton furnace cleaning