Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When to visit the Literary Walk in Central Park


Gray, overcast winter days are the best days to walk down the Literary Walk in Central Park. The broad promenade is accompanied by an allee of American Elms (Ulmus americana), with more Elms planted beyond these two rows. The branching habit of these Elms are twisty - they remind me of Medusa's head.

Because it's overcast, there are no shadows to add depth to the view and the perspective gets warped. Also, the trunks of the trees appear darker so there is a flatter, bolder silhouette. To me, the place feels enchanted on days like this.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I love this part of the park. And the only times I remember strolling down it are in the winter when you can see the branches! Glad to know I picked the best time.